Carmel Convent School, Chandigarh is an English-medium girls day school affiliated with the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) board. Founded in 1959, the school has established itself as one of the premier institutions conducted by the Apostolic Carmel Sisters – an Indian congregation which took its roots in 1870. Although the school was established for catering to the education needs of Catholic children, it is now open to children of all castes and creeds. Carmel Convent School offers education to girls from kindergarten to grade XII.
The school campus is sited in sector 9, Chandigarh and boasts state-of-the-art infrastructure comprising spacious classrooms, well stocked library, spacious auditorium, well equipped science and computer labs, a pharmaceutical garden, a playground, a bird house and an aquarium. There are three separate blocks for the pre-primary, primary and secondary sections.
Carmel Convent School is recognized by the Directorate of Education of the Chandigarh administration and is affiliated with the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE), New Delhi. It offers education to girls from kindergarten to class XII.
Extracurricular: The school places emphasis on co-curricular and extracurricular activities along with academics. It promotes student-led clubs such as Eco Club, Health Club and Peace Club and encourages sports activities such as basket ball, football, swimming, lawn tennis, table tennis, throw ball, gymnastics, golf, kho kho, badminton, roller skating, shooting, archery, horse riding and Taekwondo.
Sister Mary Supreeta A.C (principal)
The school admits students only in LKG.
Criteria for LKG admissions:
Admissions open only for girl child through draw of lots.
• Those born between April 01, 2015 to March 31, 2016 are
eligible for Session 2020-21.
• Notice and the admission form are available on the school
A few admissions take place in Class XI (depending on the number of vacancies)
Criteria for Class XI admissions:
• The admissions depend on the number of vacancies.
• Notice and the admission form are put on the school website in the first week of February.
• An eligibility test is conducted for specific subjects depending on the stream.
• There are four subject streams available:
– Non-Medical- physics, chemistry, maths, English, physical education/web applications
– Medical- physics, chemistry, biology, English, physical education/web applications
– Commerce- accountancy, business studies, economics, English, maths/ physical education/web applications
– Humanities- English, economics/ sociology, political science, psychology, history/painting/physical education/web applications
Carmel Convent School, Chandigarh was founded in 1959, and has established itself as one of the premier institutions conducted by the Apostolic Carmel Sisters – an Indian congregation which took its roots in 1870.
The school is ranked at #1 among girls day schools in India by the EducationWorld India School Rankings 2020-21.
Carmel Convent School being a day school does not offer accommodation facilities.