Enjoy yourself with these fun word facts Fritzee has compiled for you!
• The longest word without any repeated alphabets: Uncopyrightable
• The dot over the letter ‘i is called a tittle.
• The longest word in the English language is pneumonoultra-microscopic-silicovolcanoconiosis.
• The oldest word in English is ‘town.
• No words in the English language rhyme with the colours orange, silver or purple!
• There is a seven letter word that contains ten words without rearranging any of its letters: Therein – the, there, he, in, rein, her, here, ere, therein, herein.
• The combination ‘ough can be pronounced in nine different ways. The following sentence contains them all: A rough-coated, dough-faced, thoughtful ploughman strode through the streets of Scarborough; after falling into a slough, he coughed and hiccoughed
• The longest place-name still in use is a New Zealand hill called Taumatawhakatangi-hangakoauauota-mateaturipukak-apikimaungahoronukupokai-wenuakitnatahu.
• If you spell out every number from 0 to 999, you will find every vowel except for ‘a. Youll have to count to one thousand to find an ‘a!