While Chinese and Italian food is popular in India, African soul food is less known. Here are some delectable easy-to-rustle-up recipes from the African continent – Parvathy Menon
Githeri is a corn and beans stew, a staple of the Kikuyu tribe of Kenya.
- 1 cup dried whole kernel corn
- 1 cup dried kidney beans; soaked in cold water overnight
- Oil and salt to taste
- Place corn and beans with enough water in a pressure cooker.
- Cook for 6-8 whistles or until corn and beans are tender. Ensure they don’t turn mushy.
- Season with salt, oil, or fat.
- Serve hot.
Optional: Sometimes potatoes, spinach or meat is added.
Health benefit: Beans are high in fibre and protein, and help maintain healthy body weight.