St. Joseph’s School, North Point, Darjeeling was established in 1888 by Fr Henri Depelchin a Belgian Jesuit priest. It originally opened at Sunny Bank in Darjeeling town on February 13, 1888 for eighteen boarders and seven day scholars and was subsequently shifted to its present location, North Point, on February 18, 1892. The magnificent edifice that is St. Joseph’s was the brainchild of Brother Eugene Rotsaert and his team of two thousand labourers. This structure, with minor modifications, catered and adapted to the needs of the times and its expanding student body from an initial 193 boys to over 1000 students today.
In those nascent years North Point distinguished itself as a school imparting excellent all-round education in the true spirit of Jesuit or Ignatian pedagogy and attracted an international student clientele. In 1954, 28 nationalities were recorded on its rolls. Among the more accomplished alumni, have been the members of the ruling families of the Himalayan Kingdoms’ of Nepal, Bhutan and Sikkim. Wealthy families from South East Asia and Africa sent their sons here too. Former billiards world champion, Michael Ferreira, authors like Lawrence Durrell, David Mac Mahon and Stanley Blackfield were other great personalities groomed at St. Joseph’s, North Point, Darjeeling.
The school is ranked as the best boarding school in West Bengal and the fifteenth best boarding school in India in the EducationWorld C-fore Survey 2012.
The school campus offers contemporary facilities catering to every need of the student such as football fields, basketball courts (indoor & outdoor) , indoor gymnasium, multi-gym, swimming pool, music rooms, auditoriums, dormitories, canteen, bakery, infirmary, badminton court (indoor) and dining halls, among others.