St. Stephen's College, Delhi was promoted on February 1, 1881, with five students and three teachers in a small house near Chandni Chowk in Delhi. It is the oldest college in Delhi and one of the three original constituent colleges of Delhi University. The college was first affiliated with Calcutta University, later with Punjab University and finally Delhi University in 1922. It initially admitted only men and became a co-ed institution in 1975. The College was established by a Christian mission from Westcott House, Cambridge. The Rev. Samuel Scott Allnutt was its founder and first principal. Excellent academic education apart, St. Stephen’s offers rich and diverse range of extra-curricular activities. In particular student clubs and societies play an important role in students’ all-round; development. These include the “subject societies” (the English Literary Society, Physics Society, History Society, etc.); Debating Society, the Social Service League, the Shakespeare Society and Shakespeare Sabha (for English and Hindi dramatics), the Photographic Society, the Hiking Club, the Music Society, and so on. All Clubs and Societies function under the over-all direction of the College Registrar-of-Societies; in addition, each Club or Society has a Staff Adviser to guide and assist junior members. These Clubs and Societies form the hub of College activity, giving the students community a very packed annual calendar with the holding of co- curricular activities, including talks and discussions, and a wide range of cultural activities, including debates, dramatics, hiking and trekking, music, photography, fine arts, films, etc.
The college shifted to the present site in the University Enclave in 1941. The present buildings of the College, with the exception of a few later additions, were designed by the distinguished architect Walter George.
Send this to a friend