Its the International Internet Day today! Here are 15 facts about what’s become the most integral and inseparable part of our lives – the Internet.
- Charley Kline, a student programmer at the UCLA transmitted the first ever message on October 29, 1969.
- And the first email was sent by Ray Tomlinson (also a US programmer) who invented the email system. The “@” symbol was used to signify that the email was sent to a person and not to a machine (computer).
- 25 years ago today, the first webpage ( ) went online. The website was a basic HTML site created by CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) and is still live and now reinstated to its original address.
- The first webcam was created at the University Of Cambridge to monitor the Trojan coffee pot. A live 128×128 grayscale picture of the state of the coffee pot was provided as the video feed.
- Out of 7 billion people on earth, 3.2 billion people are online and out of this, 1.7 billion Internet users are Asians.
- There are more than 1.9 billion websites on the Internet in October 2018 and at least 4.46 billion pages exist on the Internet. 85,000+ websites are hacked every day.
- Internet users consumed one zettabyte bandwidth in 2016. FYI one Zettabyte = thousand Exabytes or a billion Terabytes, or trillion Gigabytes.
- 5000 domain names are registered every hour, which translates the number to a whopping 120,000 domains every day and 43 million domain names a year.
- Internet sends approximately 204 million emails per minute and 70% of all the emails sent are spam. 2 billion electrons are required to produce a single email.
- Garfield, the cartoon character was offering an email service named GMail.com. Google later acquired the service, and they renamed it to Google Mail (GMail.com) as we all know today.
- The internet requires 50 Million horsepower to keep running in the current state.
- Here’s the scary bit – the majority of internet traffic is not generated by humans, but by bots and malware. According to a recent study conducted by Incapsula, 61.5% or nearly two-thirds of all the website traffic is caused by Internet bots.
- Among all electronic inventions, the internet was the speediest, it took just four years to reach its first 50 Million Users, while Television took 13 years and radio took 38 years to reach the same number of users.
- Around 80% of the images on the Internet are of naked women. Yes and the online adult industry makes 3000$ per second.
- Seven people control the Internet, these seven people are assigned to the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) who hold seven different keys. In the case of a catastrophe, these seven people can meet again and restore the state of the Internet.
Source: The Internet 🙂
Posted in International, News