The Delhi government’s Directorate of Education on Wednesday decided to issue a show cause notice to take charge of the management of a well-known private school in Sheikh Sarai over fee hike issues.
According to sources, the school has been repeatedly asked to follow the Delhi government orders and roll-back its unjustified fee hike. The meeting of the Directorate of Education was presided by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal and deputy chief minister and education minister Manish Sisodia where the CM approved the proposal of the Directorate of Education to take over the management of the school. The decision was sent to Lieutenant Anil Baijal. The DCM assured the parents that the government will be there to support them and not let injustice befall them.
The Directorate of Education had conducted an inspection of the financial statement of the school for fiscal years 2012-2013 to 2018-2019; after a detailed inspection of records, the department found that total funds for the year 2018-2019 amounted to Rs 49,72,45,586 of which the expenditure was estimated to be Rs 18,87,02,422, implying that there was a net surplus of Rs. 30,85,43,164, upon which the department concluded that the school had no actual need to increase the fees of the school,” read the government statement.
Last year, the government had passed orders to seal two branches of Apeejay Schools franchise, including the one in Sheikh Sarai, over unauthorised fee collection, which had been stayed by the Delhi High Court.
It had, however, sought to lodge FIRs against the schools’ management citing violation of directions regarding fee collection during the pandemic. The schools maintain they have all requisite approvals from the Directorate of Education for the fees they charged. In a statement on Wednesday, the school management said it is “shocked at the prejudicial and incorrect statements made by the Delhi government”
“The directorate refused to accept the proposed fee structure of the school for academic session 2018-2019 and 2019-2020. The directorate then issued notices to the school, asking them why the recognition of the school should not be cancelled or why the government should not take over the management of the school. The directorate issued several notices, asking them to stop charging the increased fee and submit a reply, which the school did not. The school had approached the High Court against the directorate’s order. However, the High Court endorsed the Directorate of Education’s order asking the school to roll back the increased fees,” it added.
The school was very shocked at the action of the government and said that their actions and fees charged were as per the orders of the High Court of Delhi. They further said that they were shocked at the prejudicial and incorrect statements made by the Delhi government while the matter is subjudice, especially during a global pandemic. “Our parents and students will remain unaffected and we continue our excellent virtual education in partnership with them,” said the school management.News, States