Education is an important part of an individual’s life. It not only helps to kick-start a flourishing career but also widens the mental horizon and adds a glean to one’s personality. Students today are readily opting for higher education in a foreign destination. However, the plethora of options and too many choices make this dream a challenge for many to achieve. Foreign universities offer a variety of courses at undergraduate level but a student aiming for international education should consider several factors while choosing a university. These factors include languages known, budget, aptitude, suitable culture and future plans. Many students become a victim of incomplete research and end up getting admission in a university of less credibility.
Options and opportunities for overseas education have increased by leaps and bounds over the last decade. Some of the reasons for the steady outflow of Indian students to foreign campuses are:
- State-of-the-art infrastructure, good exposure and global recognition of the degrees earned by these foreign universities give a flying start to the career of any student. Indian students who are used to a passive learning style get to experience a more engaging and active learning style when studying abroad. Active learning through class participation, exchange of dialogues, case studies and practical off and on-campus experience through live projects make learning fun and more meaningful.
- Another reason for the increasing popularity of overseas education is scholarships. Students who really want to study abroad in a renowned college don’t need to get disheartened or upset if there is a financial constraint. Many scholarships are available for higher education across the globe. Studying abroad not only includes fees but also buying extra books, lodging, healthcare and many other expenses which are a part of living in a foreign country. All these expenses are not affordable for every family even if the student is brilliant. Scholarships play a major role in accomplishing goals and are like a blessing in disguise to fulfill dreams of many students.
- Another prominent reason for choosing nternational universities is exposure. International education provides a holistic environment which helps a student to learn and grow in his/her area of specialisation. Interaction with the faculty provides a global perspective on any issue. They get to examine global issues very closely and ways to tackle them on a wider podium.
- International education has gained immense popularity among Indians because of the quality of education foreign universities offer. The rank of top Indian universities in comparison to average international universities is not so great. Students therefore prefer to pursue education at campuses abroad.
- Another important reason for the choice is the fact that the Indian job market accords higher preference to a degree from an international university than a degree from an Indian university.
Some of the major destinations for international education are:
4. United States
5. New Zealand
According to a recent survey, around 14% of international students in Canada are from India. Immigration policies have been changed to bring many benefits to Indian students making Canada one of the most favorable destinations to study abroad. Some of the advantages for Indian students in Canada are that Canada is an English speaking country. High quality of life and cosmopolitan environment are other factors making Canada a most sought after destination to study abroad. Some of the top-ranking universities in Canada are: York University, University of British Columbia, University of Toronto, University McGill and University of Waterloo to name a few.
Germany is another favorite destination to study abroad. Indian students find Germany convenient as most of the courses have a tuition fee waiver. Universities in Germany offer many scholarships and provide an extensive focus on research to the students. It will help provide an advantage of getting in advance level research to everyone. Some of the top ranked German universities are Justus Liebig University Giessen, Karl Sruhe Institute of Technology, University of Bonn, RWTH Aachen University and University of Mannheim.
One of the reasons why many Indian students select Australia is the fact that the visa application process for many Asian students has become more relaxed in terms of financial requirements. Australia is a multicultural and friendly environment. International students in Australia can work up to 20 hours a week and after graduation, they can also benefit from a post-study work visa. Additionally, the Australian government has initiated a Professional Year Program dedicated to all graduates of accounting, information technology and engineering programmes, allowing them to work in a local company.
United States has always been a most sought after destination for foreign education. Some of the top Universities are Georgia Institute of Technology, MIT, University of Caltech, Washington State University, Northeastern University, Michigan State University and Texas A&M University and University of Colorado Denver.
If you aim to study in New Zealand then think no more and take that giant leap. New Zealand attracts students as it provides easy entry procedures. It is a great destination with affordable costs. An emphasis on research and practical exposure makes it a favorite of all students. University of Auckland, University of Otago, University of Canterbury and University of Wellington are a few of the top universities in New Zealand.
The author is Reeturaj Goswami, Product Head, PRATHAM International Education Desk.