Four class 12 students of a government school in Shimla were injured on Monday when an explosion occurred while they were appearing for the practical exam in the chemistry laboratory. The police said the students of Government Senior Secondary School, Matiana, wrongly mixed magnesium nitrate with ferrous sulphate which led to the explosion.
The injured students were identified as Nikita Verma (17), Bunty Sharma (17), Ajit Kumar (17), and Mukul Panjta (17). Acid and pieces of glass damaged the eyes of the students, who were hospitalised at the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER). Their condition is said to be stable.
The deputy superintendent of police Kulwinder Singh said the laboratory has been sealed and the matter is under investigation. Education minister Suresh Bhardwaj announced that the medical expenses of the victims will be borne by the state government.
Source: Hindustan TimesPosted in Campus, News