EducationWorld Preschool Grand Jury Awards 2020
EW Grand Jury Awards 2020
CBSE CISCE delaying board exams reduce syllabus

CBSE, CISCE considers delaying board exams; may reduce syllabus further

October 10, 2020

The Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) and the Council for Indian School Certificate Examinations (CISCE) are considering mulling the syllabus for classes 10 and 12 board examinations 2021 by 50 percent. They are also consider extending the academic year and delaying board exams 2021 by 45 to 60 days.

The state boards along with CBSE and CISCE have already reduced the syllabus by 25 to 30 percent in July 2020. A senior CBSE official told Times of India, “Post 30% reduction in July, there has been no normal classes and if the situation continues like this, there is likelihood of further reduction of the syllabus for the Board exams. The Board will take a call soon whether the exams are to be conducted based on 70% or 50% of the syllabus.” 

He added, “The standards for online classes vary from school to school or from urban to semi-urban and rural areas and therefore we are expecting some physical classes to happen before the exams. We will have to wait for it to happen and review the situation. Therefore, in all likelihood the board exams may have to be shifted to April or beyond to accommodate classroom teaching and completion of the syllabus. Schools are also asking us to defer the dates as well as reduce the syllabus by 50%.”

CBSE may consider delaying the board exams next year to April so as to make room for some physical classes before the exams.

Gerry Arathoon, chief executive, CISCE, also said, “Given the present scenario, there is a possibility of further reduction of the syllabus. Though, one cannot say right now to what extent it could be slashed for the 2021 exams.”

The decision however would be taken only after direction from the centre in regards the academic year.

Read: Gearing up for the 2021 board exams

Also read: School reopening guidelines: Education ministry issues SOPs

Also read: School reopening status and MHA guidelines

Posted in National, News
Current Issue
EducationWorld October 2020
ParentsWorld October 2020

EW India Preschool Grand Jury Awards 2020
Gurukul The School
India School Rankings 2020
WordPress Lightbox Plugin

Send this to a friend