Jobs in Education System
Banner Final-07
teacher arrested

FIR lodged against 4 after 100+ students suffer food poisoning in Thane school

February 1, 2024

On Thursday, an FIR was registered against four individuals, a day after more than 100 students at a private ashram school in Thane, Maharashtra, suffered from food poisoning following the consumption of the mid-day meal, as reported by an official. Shahapur tehsildar Komal Thakur conveyed that 117 students, including 48 girls, were admitted to Shahapur sub-district hospital on Wednesday after consuming the meal. The incident unfolded at Sant Gadge Maharaj Primary and Secondary Ashram School, which serves as a residential facility for tribal children. This school is situated in Bhatsai, Shahapur taluka, on the outskirts of Mumbai.

The school accommodates a total of 290 students spanning Classes 1 to 10, out of which 168 students, present on the day of the incident, were served food brought in from outside, according to Thakur. The meal included pulao and gulab jamun. Subsequently, students experienced symptoms of food poisoning, such as vomiting, leading to their immediate transportation to the hospital.

The food, brought in from outside, was served in commemoration of the first death anniversary of a villager from Bhatsai. An FIR was lodged against the school superintendent, primary school headmistress, secondary school headmaster, and the individual responsible for bringing the outside food. The charges, as per the police, include sections 284, 336, 337, and 34 of the Indian Penal Code.

Out of the 117 students admitted to the hospital, seven girls are still undergoing treatment, while the others have been discharged. Samples of the food served were collected and sent for laboratory examination.

Senior officials visited the hospital to inquire about the condition of the students. Families and relatives of the affected pupils gathered outside the medical facility, leading to the deployment of police to maintain order.

Furthermore, parents of the affected students, along with some social organizations, have demanded action against the school management for their perceived failure to take proper care of the students.

Source: PTI

Also read: Madhya Pradesh: 100 students of Physical Education Institute suffer food poisoning

Posted in Campus, News
Current Issue
EducationWorld July 2024
ParentsWorld July 2024

Access USA Alliance
Access USA
Xperimentor
WordPress Lightbox Plugin