10-year-old Kerala girl dies after bitten by snake in govt school

November 22, 2019

A 10-year-old girl died after being bitten by a snake in her school in Sulthan Bathery area in Kerala’s Wayanad district. A student in of the fifth standard, Shahla Sherin, her foot got stuck in a hole on the floor of her class and by the time her foot was pulled out, there were two red spots on it, according to the police.

The incident happened at the Sarwajan vocational higher secondary school on Wednesday. According to the deceased’s parents and classmates, the teachers at the school refused to take her to the hospital immediately even after the red spots were noticed. Although some students raised suspicion about the possibility of snake bites, the teachers insisted that it was due to the sharp edges of the hole on the floor.

The girl was taken to a hospital only after her father reached the school almost 30 minutes after the incident took place. The girl was initially taken to a private hospital in Sulthan Bathery and then to a nearby sub-district hospital. She was later referred to the Kozhikode Medical College. As her condition worsened, she was again taken to the private hospital where she was declared brought dead.

Source: India Today

Posted in News, States
Current Issue
EducationWorld December 2019
ParentsWorld December 2019

WordPress Lightbox Plugin