We all have our moments to cherish, and I am sure you will have sporty moments to cherish.
The thrill of winning a game particularly, at the end of fast-paced, breathless play, is something else altogether! You may be tired, breathing hard, and on the verge of collapse at the end of a long game. But the exhilaration that comes from a game well-played makes everything worth it.
We Indians love watching games, especially cricket, for hours on end, and then start discussing the day’s play with cricket fans.
While that’s a pleasurable pastime, actual play gives a totally different type of pleasure.
There are many sports and games waiting to be explored, and played. In this issue, we bring you some ideas to make the most of the world of sport.
Sports Unlimited – Stephanie Daniel
Is your cupboard crammed with balls of all shapes and sizes? Are different types of nets piled up in corners of the house? Do you use your dining table for table tennis?
If you are the sporty type, you know what we are talking about. If you aren’t, you don’t know what you’re missing!
Here are some great ideas for exploring the world of sports. So what are you waiting for? Get on your marks, set and go!
1. Ditch your x-box and gather neighbourhood friends to play ball. It could be cricket, India’s favourite game to start with. Spice life up with weekend matches with parents as spectators.
2. Nail a basketball net on one side of your garden wall or garage. Do a round of dribbling and shoot a few baskets every morning before you head to school. It’s a great workout routine!
3. Convert your dining table into a makeshift sports spot. Attach a readymade net to the centre of the table and have fun playing table tennis with family!
4. If you live in a high-rise building, tie two ropes, a foot apart from each other, from the balcony grill of whichever floor you are on. First floor works best. The ropes must be at least three feet off the ground. Now go to the ground floor and do some strength training by swinging and hanging on the ropes!
5. For lazy types who love the indoors too, there are some interesting options. Take out the dusty carrom board and hone your skills. Or play table tennis.
6. How about joining a skating class and learning something new? The speed that comes with rolling on wheels is exhilirating!
There are hundreds of different sports to explore, experiment with until you discover what you like to specialise in.
There’s nothing to lose. So, get moving and hop aboard India’s accelerating sports bandwagon!
“Set your goals high, and don’t stop till you get there.” Bo Jackson