Sukuma Wiki is Swahili for ‘push the week’ and refers to a meal on a budget. It is usually made from leftovers and can include meat.
- 1 kg spinach, chopped into large pieces
- 2 tbsp flour
- Juice of one lemon
- Oil for frying
- One chopped onion
- Two-three chopped tomatoes
- One chilly
- Leftover cooked chicken
- Salt, chilly powder and pepper to taste
- Boil two cups of water in a large pot. Add the greens. Cover with a lid and steam until greens are tender.
- Mix the flour, lemon juice, and few spoonfuls of water in a small bowl or cup. Stir until smooth.
- Remove greens from heat and drain.
- Heat oil in a separate pan. Saute the onion, tomatoes, and hot pepper.
- Add spices to taste, then add the meat.
- Add the flour-lemon juice mixture and stir until smooth. Add drained greens. Cover and simmer over low heat until greens are tender and sauce is thickened.
Health benefit: Spinach is rich in vitamin A, C, and K and the minerals magnesium, iron and vitamin B2. All these contribute to promoting good bone health.