The latest All India Survey on Higher Education (AISHE) for 2018-19 was released by the HRD ministry on Saturday, September 21. Launched on December 3, 2018, the data uploading started from the very first day of its launching and continued till May 10, 2019.
According to the survey, Uttar Pradesh has the highest student enrollment followed by Maharashtra and Tamil Nadu. The other top states include Karnataka, Rajasthan, Andhra Pradesh, and Gujarat, which have 28 and more colleges per lakh population.
Meanwhile, the number of total teachers at university level is around 1.90 lakh. Out of this, 63.35% are male and 36.65% are female. At college level, the number of teachers are 10.72 lakh with 56.81% male teachers, the rest being females.
Here are other important facts as published by the survey:
- The total number of foreign students enrolled in higher education is 47,427 with Nepal having 26.88% of the total, followed by, Afghanistan (9.8%), Bangladesh (4.38%), Sudan (4.02%), Bhutan constitutes (3.82%) and Nigeria (3.4%).
- At Ph.D. level, maximum numbers of students out-turn is in Science stream followed by Engineering and Technology. At PG level, most students opt for Social Science while Management stream comes at number two.
- Out of total 10 programme enrollments at colleges in India, B.A. has 93.49 lakh students enrolled in it. This was followed by B.Sc. (46.80 lakh), B.Com. (40.30 lakh), B.Tech. (21.25 lakh), B.E. (16.45 lakh), M.A. (15.12 lakh) B.A. Hons (16.39 lakh), B.Ed. (12.23 lakh), MBA (5.88 lakh), B.Sc. Hons. (5.83 lakh).
- There are 8016 students enrolled in Ph.D. in Indian languages, which is divided into 11 sub streams. The highest number of students are enrolled in Hindi language followed by Sanskrit, Bengali, and Urdu.
- Medical Science has total number of Ph.D. students at 7473. It is divided into 48 sub-streams and the highest number of students are enrolled in Pharmacy. The other streams include Ayurveda, Dentistry, and Nursing.
- Science stream has 44702 students enrolled for Ph.D. which is divided into 18 sub-streams. Chemistry has the highest number of Ph.D. students with 4553 male and 3483 female. Physics ranked second with 5954 students, Mathematics at third, Botany and Zoology are a placed at fourth and fifth respectively.
- Social Science stream has total number of 16,698 students enrolled for Ph.D. which is divided into 13 sub-streams. Economics has the highest number of students enrolled in it. Then comes Political Science, Sociology, Geography, Philosophy, and Psychology.
- Female participation is very high and has also increased sharply at M.A., M.Sc. and M.Com levels during the last 5 years. However, female participation has not increased significantly at UG level.
- Most of the colleges run only UG level programmes. Only 2.5% of colleges run Ph.D. level programmes and 34.9% of colleges run post graduate level programmes.