When you think of a lecture hall, you usually think of a room that is used for instruction typically at a college or university. You may even think there is not much to lecture hall design; just a large room with a bunch of tables and chairs and either an instructor or an audio-visual presentation being the focal point of the room. In fact, the opposite is true. Designing the right lecture hall takes time and strategic planning. Lecture hall design is dependent on many key variables that you should consider.
As manufacturers of lecture hall and auditorium furnishings, we understand the importance of selecting the right lecture hall solution for your space. In this article, we will discuss the five main questions you should address when choosing a lecture hall solution.
First, let’s address what a lecture hall typically consists of a lecture hall typically consists of either fixed tables with loose chairs, fixed tables with swing-arm chairs, or beam/pedestal/jury base chairs with writing tablets. Occasionally people may refer to an auditorium as a lecture hall if it is purpose built for teaching.
The following are the main factors to consider when choosing the right lecture hall solution for your room.
1. New Constructions vs. Renovation. If the space already exists and the client is renovating, there might be space restrictions which will dictate the appropriate solution for that space. On the flip side with a new construction a manufacturer should be able to assist with a layout that works best for the enduser and build out the room appropriately. Either way, the space and the dimensions within the space will dictate what products can be used in the room.
2. Target seat count knowing the seating capacity requirement will also help with determining product. Typically, auditorium chairs will help with maximizing capacity, because of the multiple seat sizes available. Beam seating with tablets would be the next option and with this type of product seating capacity can also vary depending on the chair shell chosen. When choosing a manufacturer for your fixed seating, you will want to consider someone who has many different options to choose from, so that you can make the best decision to achieve your target seat count.
3. Teaching style will the room be used for teacher instruction only or will there be a need for collaboration? Will end-users need a writing surface or just a seat to watch presentations? Will end-users need to use their laptops or tablets which means that power might be a requirement? All of these factors will influence the type of product that you select and the layout of the room.
4. What is the budget most manufacturers will need to have realistic numbers at the beginning of the process. Quality auditorium chairs can range in price from $995+ and lecture hall seating from $545+. Even within each category, the options chosen will affect pricing. You will need to determine, for example, if the end-user comfort is worth the money or if budget needs to be adhered to and a less expensive seat will need to be specified. Is power a requirement? Seat pads and upholstery v. a poly shell will also impact your price.
All the options will add up, but a reputable manufacturer can help you choose which options are best in order to keep the price within your budget.
5. Product solution knowing the different types of products out there will help determine what works best for your lecture hall. Swing arm seating provides consistent seat count and room uniformity and can maximize collaboration and maximize capacity. Beam seating will offer remarkable space savings, while maintaining order. Jury base chairs create maximum flexibility to collaborate within a learning environment. Knowing the answers to each point above, will help you determine the best product solution for your space.
As you can see, there are several key questions that will help guide you to the best solution for your new lecture hall. Is it a new construction or a renovation? What is the target seat count? What is the teaching style? What is your budget? What kind of product solution are you looking for? Are there any key options that need to be considered? A good manufacturer will be able to help guide you along and make sure you are addressing these questions every step of the way.
Sedia Systems is the leading global manufacturer of lecture hall and auditorium furniture. We offer the widest range of fixed seating for the education, corporate, healthcare, government, and public assembly markets.
If you are looking for a manufacturer for your next fixed seating project or have questions regarding a lecture hall solution, contact us at +91 9742329159 or drop a mail to [email protected]