Sprawled across a verdant 52-acre campus in the township of Selaqui, 20 km from Dehradun, SelaQui International School (SIS) is a nexgen fully residential co-educational school driven by the mission to nurture “a generation of happy, compassionate global leaders equipped with creative, critical thinking, effective communication and collaboration skills”.
Promoted in 2000 under the aegis of the Gurukul Trust by former IAS officer-turned-educationist Om Pathak, also chairman of the DPS Ghaziabad Society which runs a chain of seven day schools, this class V-XII boarding school has steadily acquired a national reputation for offering rigorous academic, co-curricular and sports education and excellent pastoral care. In the latest EducationWorld India School Rankings 2023-24, the CBSE and Cambridge-affiliated SIS is ranked among the Top 3 co-ed boarding schools countrywide, and #1 in Uttarakhand with high scores under the parameters of co-curricular education and internationalism, value for money and leadership. Currently it has 370 students from 26 states and seven countries and 42 teachers on its muster rolls.
Teaching & Assessment A+
- SelaQui’s diverse community of highly qualified teachers from across 18 states provides an enriching teaching-learning experience to students.
- The school has introduced a progressive Curriculum Design 2020 (CD-2020) which redefines education by encouraging self-directed learners to embark on a journey of inquiry-based learning. Personalised development trajectories, reflection and tailored learning goals are at the core of the curriculum.
- SIS delivers a well-documented curriculum on SEE (social, emotional and ethical) learning and Global Citizenship to its students. The school has two full-time counselors to ensure emotional and mental health.
- Heads of department, senior masters and the headmaster observe teachers in the classroom at least four times a year and provide feedback to enhance teacher expertise and skills.
- Student assessment is comprehensive and includes formative and summative evaluation.
- Continuous professional development opportunities are provided throughout the year including in-house and CBSE and CAIE workshops. Teachers are encouraged to take study leave.
Technology Integration A
- The school’s 22 classrooms are digitally equipped with Wi – Fi connectivity to enhance teaching-learning experiences of students.
- Several tech platforms and tools are used to enrich classroom teaching-learning. They include: MS Teams, Google doc, Sway, Kahoot, Quizzes, Mind-maps, Flip Class.
- The school’s 42 teachers have undergone training in online teaching-learning technologies and pedagogies.
- The school’s SMS (Student Management System) ensures seamless and efficient communication in management and administration.
- SIS students have access to laptops and tablets to research and prepare projects.
- The school has introduced a laptop reimbursement policy for all staff members.
Governance & Management A+
- SIS boasts a stellar advisory board comprising members from diverse fields.
- The school management believes in high accountability and inclusive decision making involving all stakeholders. Students are therefore compulsorily represented in academic, food, school and disciplinary committees.
- The school admin is managed by the Bursar. The academic and pastoral departments are supervised by two Senior Masters. All three in turn report to the Headmaster. Housemasters and Head of Departments oversee daily operational tasks.
- Institutional management policies are regular updated and meetings allow for timely reviews.
- The School Council which advises the Headmaster comprises the Headmaster (Chairman), two senior masters, a Housemasters’ Council representative, a Teachers’ Body representative, School Captain (Secretary), Head Girl, and all House Captains.
Om Pathak . Chairman
Rohit Pathak – Vice Chairman
Anshul Pathak – Treasurer
Niharika Pathak – Member
Ashvini Mehra – Member
Rashid Sharfuddin – Secretary and Headmaster
Enabling Infrastructure A++
- The school’s 52-acre eco-friendly meticulously landscaped campus is home to a variety of flora and fauna.
- Academic facilities include centrally heated/air conditioned common spaces, Smart classrooms, modern laboratories and a well-stocked library.
- SIS offers modern air conditioned / heated boarding houses with easy access to the house masters and matrons’ accommodation.
- The recently constructed Art and Music School is equipped with latest equipment and high-quality acoustics. It has six studios for art, sculpture and textiles, eight rooms for classical and Western music, design and technology lab as well as a media centre.
- The sports infrastructure is impressive and includes a 5 hole mini golf course, a 12-horse equestrian stable, football and hockey fields, shooting range, five tennis courts, a Cricket Oval with pavilion, cricket practice nets, two volleyball courts, 400-m athletics track, a dismantlable shot put, discus and high jump facilities 110-m hurdle track, a 25 m swimming pool (8 lane) and badminton courts.
- Co-curricular activities include ceramic and pottery, sculpture, art and craft, graphic art and publication, photography, Model United Nations, debates, adventure club, Western choir, instrumental music, Indian classical music, Western band and dance.
Board: CBSE & Cambridge International
Co-ed Day, class V-XII
Campus size: 52 acres
Teacher-student ratio: 1:9
Admission deadline: December
Special needs education: Yes
Admission age: 10 years (class V) and 16 (class XI)
Seats-application ratio: 1:2
Annual tuition fees: Rs.7.50 lakh
Fee payment schedule: Half-yearly
- In 2023 class IX student Aarav Gulia qualified for the National Championships in 10 meter Rifle shooting
- SelaQui International School, Dehradun, is a member of IPSC, BSA, BSAI, AFS, Global Connections, British Council & IAYP, EFI, CBSE
- In 2016, Advait Datar (class IX) climbed Africa’s highest mountain Mt. Kilimanjaro at age 14
- SIS was conferred Emerging School Brand of the year award 2018 by Businessworld magazine
Student Achievement & Support A+
- SIS students are routinely admitted into top-ranked higher ed institutions in USA, Canada (Toronto, UBC and McGill universities), UK, New Zealand and Australia apart from top-ranked varsities and the IITs in India.
- The careers and placements cell provides guidance and counselling to class IX students onwards to enable them to make well-informed higher education choices. Aptitude tests and regular career fairs and university visits are also organised.
- SIS recently adopted five government schools where students are required to serve 24 hours per term, and engage in social and community service. The school also supports the menstrual hygiene programme in the neighbourhood and runs an evening school for neighbouring children.
- Well-designed academic support programmes address the learning and development needs of students.
- Student exchange programmes are organised with schools in the UK, New Zealand, France and Denmark.
SIS, Dehradun | Leader
A postgrad in history of St. Stephen’s College and Delhi University and school management and international education alum of the University of Bath (UK), Rashid Sharfuddin started his teaching career during a gap year at age 21 at the renowned The Lawrence School, Lovedale, Ooty followed by a 11-year stint as at The Doon School, Dehradun before taking charge as headmaster of SelaQui International School in 2014. While at The Doon School, he introduced the Model United Nations (MUN) Programme, now christened DSMUN, currently the country’s largest high school MUN Conference. Over the past decade since he took charge as SIS headmaster, Sharfuddin, who is the founding member and Secretary of the Boarding Schools’ Association of India, has initiated several innovative programmes, including integration of technology, goal setting exercise, redesigning the curriculum, introduction of CAIE, planning and construction of golf course and a modern Art and Music School besides other facilities and initiatives. Sharfuddin also serves on the board of school committee of AFS, and DPSG Society.