Acting on the centre’s guidelines, some of the states have partially reopened schools for classes IX to XII on a trial basis from September 21, 2020. As students return to school after a gap of almost seven months, staggered timings, regular sanitisation, and compulsory masks will be followed.
Are schools conducting regular eight-hour classes as they reopen?
Schools, colleges, educational and coaching institutions will remain closed for students and regular class activity at least till September 30.
Does this mean online classes will be discontinued?
No, since these meetings between students and teachers are voluntary, online classes will continue to be encouraged.
I live in a containment zone. Is it mandatory for me to go to school?
No, those students who reside in containment zones should not step out of their homes, even if it is to go to schools. Also, schools in containment zones will also not be allowed to reopen.
Should I get a COVID-19 test before going to school?
There is no clarity on this yet.
What’s allowed within school premises?
- Weather permitting, outdoor spaces may be utilised for conducting teacher-student interactions
- All air conditioning devices should be in the range of 24-30 degree Celsius
- Assemblies, sports and events that can lead to overcrowding are strictly prohibited
- Gymnasiums shall follow MoHFW guidelines
- Swimming pool (wherever applicable) shall remain closed
- Cafeteria/mess facility, if any within the premises, shall remain closed
- For practical activities in laboratories, maximum capacity per session based on redesigned spaces, may be planned and scheduled accordingly
How are schools ensuring physical distancing is followed within classrooms?
- Seating arrangement to ensure a distance of six feet between chairs, desks etc
- Staggering of guidance activities to be done, with separate timing slots, to allow for adequate physical distancing and disinfection of classroom premises
- The teaching faculty will ensure that they themselves and students wear masks throughout the conduct of the teaching/guidance activities.
- Sharing of items like notebook, pens, pencils, eraser, water bottle etc. among students should not be allowed
What are the generic precautions to be followed while attending school?
- Physical distancing of at least six feet to be followed as far as feasible
- Use of face covers/masks to be made mandatory
- Frequent hand washing with soap (for at least 40-60 seconds) even when hands are not visibly dirty
- Use of alcohol-based hand sanitisers (for at least 20 seconds) can be done wherever feasible
- Respiratory etiquette to be strictly followed. This involves strict practice of covering one’s mouth and nose while coughing/sneezing with a tissue/handkerchief/flexed elbow and disposing of used tissues properly
- Self-monitoring of health by all and reporting any illness at the earliest
- Spitting shall be strictly prohibited
- Daily cleaning of the floors shall be taken up
- Provision of soap in toilets and hand sanitisers in other common areas in sufficient quantity must be ensured
- Teaching materials, computers, laptops, printers, shall be disinfected with 70% alcohol wipes
- Students and employee should be advised to dispose of used face covers/masks in separate covered bins placed in classrooms
- Students cannot be involved in any cleaning activities